The Original
When on April 22, 1988 the lightship BÜRGERMEISTER O’SWALD weighed its mushroom anchor at positions 54° 00′ 00” N and 08° 06′ 35” E (Elbe 1) to head for its home port of Cuxhaven, a 172-year history of manned lightships in the Elbe estuary came to an end. Planning for the lightship BÜRGERMEISTER O’SWALD began in 1936 after the predecessor of the same name sank in a heavy storm without any survivors. In 1939, the shipyard Jos. L. Meyer in Papenburg an der Ems. However, the war delayed completion. In order to prevent an explosion already ordered by the Wehrmacht, it was sunk in the shipyard harbour. After the end of the war, it was raised again and put into service in 1948. The ship has been rebuilt several times or retrofitted with more modern technology. The most striking was the reconstruction of the command bridge. The model sheet reproduces the original in the state of its decommissioning in 1988.
Source: Passat Verlag
Das Original
Als am 22. April 1988 das Feuerschiff BÜRGERMEISTER O’SWALD seinen Pilzanker auf der Position 54° 00′ 00” N und 08° 06′ 35” O (Elbe 1) lichtete, um seinen Heimathafen Cuxhaven anzusteuern, ging eine 172jährige Geschichte von bemannten Feuerschiffen in der Elbmündung zuende.
Mit den Planungen für das Feuerschiff BÜRGERMEISTER O’SWALD wurde 1936 begonnen, nachdem die gleichnamige Vorgängerin in einem schweren Sturm ohne Überlebende gesunken war. 1939 bekam die Werft Jos. L. Meyer in Papenburg an der Ems den Bauauftrag. Der Krieg verzögerte aber die Fertigstellung. Um eine von der Wehrmacht bereits angeordnete Sprengung zu verhindern, versenkte man es im Werfthafen. Nach Kriegsende wurde es wieder gehoben und 1948 in Dienst gestellt.
Das Schiff wurde mehrfach umgebaut, bzw. mit modernerer Technik nachgerüstet. Am auffälligsten war der Umbau der Kommandobrücke.
Der Modellbaubogen bildet das Original im Zustand seiner Außerdienststellung im Jahre 1988 nach.